Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Coming out all over again

I've  noticed since getting Andrew I feel like I'm getting more attention than before. This may be my self consciousness talking ,but when J and I are together , it seems like people are looking at us and saying.."hey look it's two Dads!" The responses have all been supportive and positive but its something that I'm getting used to.
I think it was more evident in Georgia, I could tell people were twisting their necks to get a good luck at the gay Dads coming down the street. I'm sure it doesn't affect J. That's what I love about him, he doesn't give a flying heck on what people think. I, on the other hand, have the opposite affect. I'm not sure if it was my upbringing or what, but it's something I struggle with till this day.  Gay fathers aren't an anomaly anymore. There are so many examples in the media, celebrity culture, which makes it more palatable to the general public I guess. When I mentioned to my mother that I was adopting, I could sense the apprehension in her voice. She's in her 80s, and I'm sure she did not expect that her gay son would have children. Her first reservation was that J and I were too old! She does have a point, but I reminded her that Elton John who just adopted is in his 60's. In a bizarre way , it kind of made her feel better.

No comments: